DEVOTION TO THE SEVEN SORROWS OF THE VIRGIN MARY
The Blessed Virgin Mary grants
seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary's and
meditating on her tears and dolors. The devotion was passed on by St. Bridget.
The following are the seven sorrows of Mary with a suggested reading for each
sorrow from the Bible and from the visions of Venerable Anne Catherine Emmerich.
These readings are only suggested, a person may make up their own mental
meditations of the seven sorrows as they pray the seven Hail Marys.
SEVEN SORROWS OF THE VIRGIN
THE PROPHECY OF SIMEON.
(St. Luke II, 34, 35)
THE FLIGHT INTO EGYPT.
(St. Matthew II, 13-14)
THE LOSS OF THE CHILD JESUS IN
(St. Luke II, 43-45)
THE MEETING OF JESUS AND
MARY ON THE WAY OF THE CROSS.
THE TAKING DOWN OF THE BODY
OF JESUS FROM THE CROSS.
THE BURIAL OF JESUS.
(John 19: 38-42)
THE SEVEN GRACES GIVEN TO THOSE
INDIVIDUALS THAT MEDITATE ON THE SEVEN SORROWS OF THE VIRGIN MARY
(As revealed to Saint Bridget by the Blessed Mother)
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be englightened about the divine mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will
of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect
them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their
- I have obtained(This Grace) from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion
to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from the earthly life to
eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their
eternal consolation and joy.